Why is the form on my website not able to be automagically detected?
If your method of adding new participants is set to 'Automagically when someone submits a form on my site' -- see image -- and GrowSurf is not able to detect a form on your webpage, this is a list of potential reasons why:
- Form is not inside a <form> tag
- Form does not contain an input with a name="email" or id="email" attribute: <input type="email" name="email">
- Form is on a webpage that requires a login
- Form is on a session-based webpage (typical with some checkout pages)
- Form is within an iframe (typical with third-party form service providers)
- Form is spread across several webpages (the form must be on a single webpage)
- Form is a multi-step form (form must not be broken into individual steppers)
- Form is not unique (forms must have a unique ID, name, and/or class attribute)
- Form is generated dynamically and does not have a consistent unique ID, name, and/or class attribute
- The URL is local to your machine (e.g, localhost, 127.0.0.1). To test locally, please whitelist the URL
- The URL is redirecting to a different URL
The most common reason that a form will not be able to be detected is if it is from a third-party embedded form, most of which are iframes. Referral tracking cannot work due to the limitations and security protocols of modern browsers (iframes use a different URL than the one you see in the browser URL bar).